- 2005 BFA, cum laude, Illustration, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD
AWARDS, GRANTS & RESIDENCIES
- 2012 PNC Transformative Art Project Grant with Can Collective for Sunflower Village in Franklin Square
- 2012 Guapamacátaro Interdisciplinary Residency in Art and Ecology, Michoacan, Mexico
- 2011 Galería Gubidxa Residency Program, Unión Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Mexico
- 2010 FARO (Fábrica de Artes y Oficios) de Oriente Residency Program, Mexico City
- 2010 Individual Artist Award, Highest Honors, Works on Paper, Maryland State Arts Council
- 2009 Semi-Finalist (as half of TwoCan Collective), Janet & Walter Sondheim Artscape Prize
- 2006 Volunteer Recognition Award, Neighborhood Design Center
- 2006 Community Fellowship Finalist, Open Society Institute
- 2004 Illustration Department Recognition Award, Maryland Institute College of Art
- 2012 Intervenida: New Installation by Emily C-D, Julio Fine Arts Gallery, Loyola University, Baltimore, MD
- 2011 Río, Por Mil Años, Galería Gubidxa, Unión Hidalgo, Oaxaca, Mexico
- 2010 Picado, Community Center Art Gallery, Greenbelt, MD
- 2009 Papeles por mis Ojos, Shine Collective, Baltimore, MD
- 2007 Refuse Refuse, Load of Fun Galerie and facade of Joe2, Baltimore, MD
- 2006 Salvage, The Brewers Art, Baltimore, MD
- 2006 Rummage, Idle Hour, Baltimore, MD
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2012 Invited: The Anniversary List, Station North Arts and Entertainment District, Baltimore MD
- 2011 Cha-Cha-Chachara, Border, Mexico City
- 2010 Contra Natura, Jardin Azteca, Mexico City
- 2010 Axis Alley 2, alleys behind North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD
- 2010 Midway Banners, Charles Street Bridge at Artscape, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Axis Alley, alleys behind North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Hunter Gatherer, Galleries at Community College Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD
- 2009 Sondheim Semi-Finalist Exhibition, Decker Gallery at MICA, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Transmoden Festival, Whole Gallery at the H & H Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Travel Exhibit: Where Have You Been?, Towson Arts Collective, Towson, MD
- 2008 What is Green? Wind-up Space, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Midway, Charles Street Bridge at Artscape, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Found Objects: New Beginnings, Baltimore Public Works Museum, Baltimore, MD
- 2007 Anonymous Rage, Sub-basement Artist Studios, Baltimore, MD
- 2006 The Dilapidated Reanimated Expo, Current Gallery at Artscape, Baltimore, MD
- 2005 Avalanche, Greenmount Cemetery Gallery at the Copycat Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
- 2004 The Building Alteration Project, Mildred Monroe School exterior, Baltimore, MD
COMMUNITY ART PROJECTS
- 2012 Sunflower Village, Franklin Square Community Association, Baltimore, MD
- 2012 La Semilla Eterna, Huerto Romita, Mexico City
- 2012 Animalitos Listos, Guapamacátaro, Michoacan, Mexico
- 2011 El Ciclo de Transformación, San Pedro Joven, Monterrey, Mexico
- 2011 El Puente Somos Todos, Latren, Saltillo, Mexico
- 2010 La Vida es H20, FARO de Oriente, Mexico City
- 2009 Agricultura Urbana, Huerto Romita, Sembradores Urbanos, Mexico City
- 2009 Magic Monarch, Amazing Port Street, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Spill Game, 24th & Barclay Sts, Community Lots at Civic Works, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Friendlytown, Baltimore Yoga Village, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Gone Buggy, Hampstead Hill Academy, Creative Alliance, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Painted Flower Path, Holbrook & Lanvale Sts, Community Lots at Civic Works, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Nature in the Round, Herring Run Park, Baltimore Mural Program, MD
- 2006-07 Collaged Culture, Eastern Health Center, Transforming Baltimores Public Health Clinics project, Baltimore City Health Department, MD
- 2005 Vision of a City Kid, Greenmount West community, Neighborhood Design Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2004 Community Seating, Library Square, Neighborhood Design Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2011 FARO de Oriente, Mexico City: led a worshop for elementary school children in designing and building musical instruments and costumes out of garbage, which terminated in a public performance.
- 2010 Greenbelt Community Center, Greenbelt, MD: led papel picado workshops (the Mexican art of cut paper) for students aged 6-12 in the Creative Kids Summer Camp
- 2008-10 Mi Espacio Program, Baltimore, MD: designed and conducted after-school art activities for Latino teenagers to introduce them to culturally relevant art materials and techniques including mask-making and mural painting.
- 2008-09 Creative Alliance, Baltimore, MD: designed and implemented an after-school mural arts course for middle-school students, and summer classes that combined literature and art making for kids in the Open Minds Art Club.
***I am fluent in written and spoken Spanish.***
- Uruguay: researched cultural traditions associated with Carnaval, and created two found object public art interventions, 2011
- Guatemala: toured and played music in the streets with the band La Balcónika, 2010
- Mexico City: artist residency in FARO and collaboration with the band La Balcónika, 2010,
studied Spanish language and played violin in the Mariachi Quita Penas, 2009,
investigated Mexican murals and cultural traditions associated with el Día de los Muertos, 2008
- India: toured with TwoCan Collective and created a series of collaborative collages that we compiled into the self-published book Bananas, 2007
- Krakow, Poland & Vienna, Austria: researched art, architecture, and facade design, particularly the work of Hundertwasser, 2006
- 2009 Radix, Whole Gallery at the H & H Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
- 2009 Off the Wall, Whole Gallery at the H & H Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Laundry Masala, Whole Gallery at the H & H Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
- 2007 All That Remains, Whole Gallery at the H & H Warehouse, Baltimore, MD
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
- Ober, Cara. "On The Move: The mixed-media artwork in Intervenida...reflects the transformative power of travel and adventure." Urbanite Art + Culture E-Zine. 18 September 2012.
- "Emily C-D's Global Remix." Outpost Journal. Issue 02: Baltimore edition, Fall 2012: page 22.
- C-D, Emily, Ariana Gomez. "El Puente Somos Todos." Bitacora. Year 4, Number 14, Spring 2012: pages 6-9.
- "Entrevista con Emily C-D." Bitacora 09. 105.7 Radio Reactor. 8 September 2011.
- C-D, Emily. "Arte de Transformacion." Bitacora. Year 3, Number 12, Fall 2010: pages 88-92.
- Ebstein, Alex. "Blight Star: Sarah Doherty transforms abandoned urban spaces with creative installations." Baltimore City Paper. 18 November 2009.
- Smith, Tim. "Bringing Art to Vacant Spaces: Blighted spaces are transformed into outdoor art galleries." Baltimore Sun. 18 October 2009.
- Lowe, Greg. "Emily C-D: Create Globally, Inspire Locally." Locus Magazine Issue Six, Fall 2009: pages 32-41.
- McCabe, Bret. "Well Hung: Group show shirks the traditional gallery wall for works that sit on the floor and descend from the ceiling." Baltimore City Paper. 13 May 2009.
- Kiehl, Steven. "Boarded-up houses make way for roses." Baltimore Sun. 12 July 2008.
- "Laundry Masala: A Conversation with Emily C-D and Jessie Unterhalter." The Signal. WYPR. 11 April 2008.
- McCabe, Bret and Jason Hughes. "Top Ten 2007: The Year in Art." Baltimore City Paper. 12 December 2007.
- McCabe, Bret. "Multi Reuse: Recycled materials lone organizing force in this group show." Baltimore City Paper. 17 October 2007.
- "Refuse Refuse: A Conversation with Emily C-D." The Signal. WYPR. 14 September 2007.
- McLeod, Deborah. "Tag Party: Little scratches grow up in this vibrant street art show." Baltimore City Paper. 15 August 2007.
- Hill, Tim. "Saving Space: Artists re-imagine Baltimores boarded up, abandoned, and otherwise neglected properties." Baltimore City Paper. 19 July 2006.